Census records indicate Mary Thomas was born about 1799, probably in Bulloch County, Georgia. Her parents are unknown, but she is identified as Isham B. Thomas' sister through an 1835 Bulloch County deed in which Isham gave her land and identified "Mary Odom" as his sister.
Mary Thomas married James Odum (or Odom) in Bulloch County, GA , on February 27, 1817. James Odum is said to have been a farmer and lived all his life in Bulloch County. They are reported to have had as many as 8 surviving children, 4 of whom are: Leonard (b. 1826), Isaac (or Oscar) (b. 1828) Godfrey (b. 1832) and Henry (b. 1838), as identified through the Bulloch County Common School Fund records. Other probable children are Eveline (b. 1836), and Eliza (b. 1825) .
The 1820 Bulloch County census lists James Odum with one female under age 10, but Mary is missing from the household. The 1830 and 1840 census list Mary Thomas as the head of the household, but there is no male of the appropriate age listed on either census to be James. Also, James Odum is not listed as a separate household in Bulloch County for those years.
Mary Thomas married her second husband, Andrew Kicklighter, Sr. in Bulloch County, GA, on May 2, 1841. They had one child: Mary Magdalene Kicklighter (b. 10 Dec. 1841).
Mary Thomas died sometime before September 6, 1849. On that date the Bulloch County Court appointed a guardian for Mary's orphan, minor son, Godfrey Odum. There was no mention made by the court of any other Odum children.
- Leonard Odum and his wife, Sarah, moved to Volusia County, Florida.
- Isaac Odum and his wife, Elizabeth Warner, disappeared after 1850 but their son, Leonard, married Martha Harrison and settled in Wayne County, Georgia.
- Godfrey Odum married Rebecca Moody of Liberty County and they settled in Wayne County.
- Henry Odum and his wife, Rosamond, settled in Wayne County.
- Eveline Odum married William Harvey of Bryan County about 1855 and settled in Wayne County.
- Frederick and Eliza Kicklighter moved to Bradford County, Florida
- Mary Magdalene Kicklighter was in Andrew Sr.'s household on the 1850 and 1860 census. She married James Harvey about 1861 and they settled in Bryan County, Georgia.
Mary's information and that of her children are included in Mary Thomas' family tree.